Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Major Milestone (I hope)

First off, Arlee went down for her nap today without a bottle and without any fussing for the first time!  I am so excited because I have been so torn between taking the bottle away and letting her make that decision herself.  Last week I started her on whole milk, just mixing it with her formula, next week she will be all  drinking just milk no formula.  I also started giving her a sippy of just milk with her meals.  I just sit it there and if she drinks it fine if not fine.  Well she spits it out every time. She will go for a drink and immediately realize.  I have been worried that if I take the bottle away she will get no milk at all.  Some people tell me she will drink it if she gets thirsty enough, but part if me thinks that's kinda cruel to force it like that.  Arlee is pretty good about letting us know when shes ready, and if we push to hard she fights back if shes not into it.  She has been showing some signs of not needing a bottle, like if she eats enough food she doesn't seem to mind not having it, and shes going longer between feedings.  So I had made up my mind to bite the bullet and take her bottles away this weekend and see what happens.  And, to get her to take milk in the sippy.  She has never wanted formula from her sippy, she hates it, but she will drink water and juice from it.  Someone told me to try mixing Ovaltine and milk in her sippy and she might like drink it that way until she gets used to it plain.  At least then she would drink enough milk. With all that said this brings us to now, I decided to try a little experiment today.  When Arlee gets up around 9 ish I feed her oatmeal or an egg for breakfast, then at 11ish she gets a bottle and goes down for a nap, then she wakes up for lunch and so on.  Today I fed her breakfast then at 11, instead of getting her bottle I gave her a big snack and gave her milk in a sippy with a straw , she ate and drank a little milk.  Hey a little is better than none and she acted liked she liked it!  Then I laid her down for a nap, and she did it no bottle!!! Yes!!  She is ready!  Lets just see how the day goes!!

No comments: