Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cry It Out



Over the weekend I decided I was really going to start working with Arlee to get her used to sleeping in her crib vs the swing. I always say I am going to work on it, but then the minute she crys I immediately pick her up and we head for the swing. In the middle of the night I will do anything to get some sleep. So I decided that I may just have to give up some sleep to get this to work. After talking with other moms I have decided to try the so called "cry it out" method. The first night she fell asleep downstairs in her swing, so when she woke up for her last nightly bottle I put her in her crib around 9:30 or so and she slept for about 4 hours! I was so proud of her she didn't fuss or anything, right to sleep. Then she got her swing for the last half of the night as a reward, haha. The next day I thought we should start napping in her crib, so when she got tired I took her up to her room, put her in her crib and let her have her paci, she feel right asleep. Later that night she slept in her crib again! No crying! Well I knew it couldn't be this easy. I was right, I did have to let her cry, she went down for her nap and started crying I said ok 4 minutes and I am going in! 2 minutes and she was asleep. So the next nap rolled around, same thing cryed for 2 minutes, then went to sleep. It's so hard to let her cry, she sounds so helpless. But I have to tell myself it is good for her to learn to fall asleep on her own with no help from Mommy or Daddy! She has been going 7 or 8 hours sleeping through the night in her swing, so my goal is to do the same in her crib!! Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Darci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darci said...

2 minutes! Ha! One night I had just had it b/c Jack had been a super fussy boy all day and wouldn't nap at all, so when he woke up that night around 11:30pm for no apparent reason I tried to just soothe him back to sleep - it was NOT working so I said, "well this is the time I guess we'll see how long you can cry!" He cried for 58 minutes! Ha! I'm horrible I know! But he didn't wake up again until like 6:30am! He goes off an on - sometimes he wakes around 1-2 for a bottle and other nights he doesn't wake up until around 6am...and he goes to bed at 7pm! Those nights are nice! Does/Has Arlee ever slept in your room?